Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Getting Started

Hi all!

So... as you may have heard, I'm partially shutting down my FictionPress site (unfinished stories and shorts will remain up unless I send them out for publication--actually 1-2 shorts will probably come down too). I'm removing stories because I feel that they probably need to come down so that agents and publishers are happy (they like to think they've got them first). Besides, it's also very likely that the stories will change. I know that the first Es and Moo story needs loads of work to smooth out the plot and make it more believable. I was just so excited to start and write that story that I went a tad crazy (as it was finished in what, 26 days?). After I finish up this first blog post, I will be thumbing through the 2009 Writer's Market for Novels and Short Stories. I don't think I'll need to invest in the original Writer's Market at this point, but we'll see.

The steps of publishing are going to be enormous. I've read that unpublished authors should have their novels completely polished before sending out letters to publishers/agents. I'm going to work on the first four chapters of "A Starter Boyfriend" and then send out letters. Since most of you reading this blog will have read my stories in the past, you know that they're pretty full of mistakes. I may need a beta editor--or I might need to shell out a few pennies for a professional. We'll see though.

I'm prepared to be rejected, because it does happen. We can't all be J.K. Rowling (sadly).

Until next time! Make sure to click "follow this blog" to stay updated!

:)Tatiana

3 comments:

  1. It took ages for J.K. Rowling to get a publisher/agent. Just saying. You'll definitely get "A Starter Boyfriend" published - it's pretty original compared to some of the cliches in the bookstores. :]

    -Anna(who-is-really-in-love-with-A-Starter-Bf)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I figure I'll be rejected a few times for sure. :) I just need to get started! Thanks for checking out my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there! i am in love with hostile kisses and a starter boyfriend! im so so sad to see them gone, but i just wanted to tell you about authonomy.com. im not sure if you know about it, but its hosted-ish by harpercollins, which im sure you are familiar with, and its where authors put their works and have them voted and such. here is a summary: "The Authonomy website was set up in September and has attracted more than 100,000 users, with more than 2,000 manuscripts uploaded onto the site. Each manuscript is voted on by Authonomy users, with the highest ranked guaranteed to be read by a HarperCollins editor each month." J.E. Wyatt from fiction press has put up one of her stories on it and i think it would be beneficial for you to put some of your works up! thanks! and good luck!

    ReplyDelete