Thursday, October 18, 2012

I cant believe it's October

This is me, lost and waiting for the muse to strike again.
So... this month isn't really any better than last month in terms of editing. I've been given more responsibilities at work, which asks for a little overtime. So, my editing time is cut... for now. I worry that I'm falling into a slump. A block. The last block kept me from really producing for several years. I don't really think I'm at that point yet, but I'm definitely cloudy right now. So, not a good progress report for those waiting for KM3. I'm still not even halfway through.

I think part of this slump is because I'm stressed out. They're giving me more responsibility at work, but at the same time I'm losing my job sometime in February (contract wasn't renewed). It's stressful having to look for a new job, and to not know where I want to live (ie, stay in Maryland, move to Boston?) I've never been good dealing with uncertainty.

You'd think I'd fall back into something comforting like writing, but that hasn't happened. I'm still thinking a lot about the trilogy that I started, THE SPIRIT KEEPER. It's strange, I almost want to write book III more than book II, but then I've never written out of order like that. I know that I should take a break and do something else, but I don't even want to write at the moment.

I need to get excited about my KM and writing and editing again. I need a spark of something... I'm not sure what.

This funk needs to pass.

6 comments:

  1. Hopefully not years :(
    I just reread the first few chapters of A Starter Boyfriend which is top three in my list of great fictionpress books. You have an undeniable talent and I hope you continue to write.
    So now that I have praised you sufficiently...any chance of reading the rest of Starter Boyfriend in the near future??? I am willing to sell my soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not just write book 3? If you're getting inspiration for it, it might be a sign that what you thought was the right order might not be and even if it is at least you'll be getting some writing down and it might kick start an urge to work on other things or at least make points for book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous: Thank you so much for your comment! Yes, eventually A Starter Boyfriend will be available. No need to sell your soul! :) It needs a light edit... so who knows when I'll get to that. I will continue to write. It's kinda in my blood... I'm just in a funky place at the moment.

    @Jammi: The thing is, I have bits of scene from what I think will be books II and III floating around in my head. Perhaps I just need to write those down. A lot of the time writing out just a little bit spurs more. I think it's just a matter of starting something. Are you caught up on Supernatural? Or ANTM? Homeschool looks like a skeleton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not caught up on either of those, I'm hoping to at least get caught up with ANTM, I actually haven't managed to watch any of Supernatural yet, the day change has messed with me completely.

    And Homeschool should be sent home if she hasn't been already, she's dangerously thin and it's not a good look. I don't care how great her photos are, Tyra should probably actively take an interest in that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, so I don't know if you're still looking into publishing through a traditional pub but Avon Impulse (Avon's ebook branch) is apparently actively looking for new writers:

    http://www.avonromance.com/impulse/

    I don't know if anything you've completed meets the guidelines, and here is a site where the editor gave a bit of a wishlist:

    http://romancedivas.com/2012/09/the-five-secret-desires-of-an-avon-impulse-editor/

    But I don't see why you couldn't at least send in a Starter Boyfriend or any of your other completed non self-pubbed novels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do still want to publish traditionally, but my fear with a romance imprint is that they'll want sex scenes... my books have "hot" moments, but not really full on scenes and I don't know that it would fit the vibe with A Starter Boyfriend to write things in. However, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it and see what they say. I could get some feedback, which has yet to happen. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete